4 lb pork butt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoons Pele Red Hawaiian salt by Salts of the7 Seas
1 tablespoon Applewood Smoked sea Salt– Salts of the7 Seas
1 lb skin– ask your butcher to get this for you.
5 1/2 cups water
8 ti leaves (Banana Leaves, or use large spinach leaves)
- Make several deep slashes around pork butt. Remove and discard most of the fat from the pork skin.
- Rub garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of the Pele Red Hawaiian sea salt on pork. Sprinkle the Tablespoon of Applewood Smoked sea salt over pork.
- Add 1/2 cup of the water to a large roasting pan, then line the pan with foil. Lay large spinach leaves on the foil.
placing pork and skin on leaves. Cover with the remaining 4 leaves.
- Secure foil tightly around the roast and cook in 400 F oven for 1 hour. Lower temperature to 375 F; cook for 4 1/2 more hours or until pork is easy to shred.
- In a large sauce pot, bring the remaining 4 cups water to a boil. Add the remaining 2nd tablespoon of 1 Pele Red Hawiian sea salt. Shred pork and cut skin; add to boiling water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Makes 8 servings