Adapted from a recipe by Emeril Lagasse, 2002
1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) whole chicken
1 1/2 tablespoons Sel de Ail Rôti– real roasted garlic sea salt by Salts of the 7 Seas™
2 teaspoons fresh-ground Tellecherry peppercorns (black pepper)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
1/2 tablespoon chopped sage leaves
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves (reserve the parsley stems)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 lemon, quartered
2 bay leaves
1/4 pound baby turnips, peeled and stem ends trimmed
1/4 pound baby red carrots, peeled and stem ends trimmed
1/4 pound orange carrots, peeled and stem ends trimmed
1/4 pound baby golden beets, peeled and stem ends trimmed
1/4 pound baby beets, peeled and stem ends trimmed
1/4 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
1 1/2 teaspoons Sel de Oignon sea salt, or if you like a little adventure, try the Mumbai Curry
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry. Season well inside and out with the roasted garlic sea salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, thyme, sage, parsley and olive oil. Rub the olive oil and herb blend into the cavity of the chicken as well as all over the exterior. Place the parsley stems into the cavity of the chicken, and squeeze each lemon quarter into the chicken and place the rind in as well.
- Put the bay leaves inside the chicken and place the bird in a roasting pan or a sauté pan, and put it into the oven. Roast for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is golden brown, and the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before carving.
- For the vegetables: Place the vegetables in a large mixing bowl, and season with the sea salt of your choice and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and place in a roasting pan or on a sheet pan. You should cover the pan with aluminum foil for about 15 minutes to cook without drying out.
- Uncover the last 15 minutes to brown slightly. Fork should go easily into the vegetables when they are done. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, turning once midway during cooking to ensure even browning. Serve with the herb roasted chicken.